Sign in to follow this  
dreamie

Recommend me a headphone..

As above. Will use it with tubes amp. Price preferably below $300.

Listen mainly to blues, classical, jazz and some rock.

Thank you. biggrin.gif

grado, or a akg501.

http://www.sgheadphones.com/index.php?showtopic=856

this should be helpful.

Edited by adhoc

AKG K501 or HD580/600 (+cable upgrade if you can get cheap/used) or ATH-W100. Depending on your taste they might not be suitable for rock but I have no problems with the above.

What kind of tube amp? This is important because some tube amps cant drive low impedence cans (like the EarMax). Also tube amps can sound bright or dark so tonal synergy may be not there.

So let me know what tone you amps is and whether they can handle low impedence cans first. The what's the sonic signature of your source.

If you want one headphone that does it all then get the Beyer DT-931 - if your tube amp is warm sounding. Or the Grado SR-225 if the tube amp can drive low impedence cans. Another alternative is the Beyer DT-880 if you tube or tube hybrid amo is bright sounding like the X-Cans.

All the above cans are avobe your budget but only by a bit - DT-931 is S$330, DT-880 is approx S$450 and the Grado is S$350.

The sencond hand market is of course a better choice but please make sure you can at least test the headphones - you never know how it's been abused.

AKG K501 or HD580/600 (+cable upgrade if you can get cheap/used) or ATH-W100. Depending on your taste they might not be suitable for rock but I have no problems with the above.

Hmmm.....

Any cans for rocking? party.gif thx again.. maybe run speakers when i'm rocking and can with other music genre..

What kind of tube amp? This is important because some tube amps cant drive low impedence cans (like the EarMax). Also tube amps can sound bright or dark so tonal synergy may be not there.

So let me know what tone you amps is and whether they can handle low impedence cans first. The what's the sonic signature of your source.

If you want one headphone that does it all then get the Beyer DT-931 - if your tube amp is warm sounding. Or the Grado SR-225 if the tube amp can drive low impedence cans. Another alternative is the Beyer DT-880 if you tube or tube hybrid amo is bright sounding like the X-Cans.

All the above cans are avobe your budget but only by a bit - DT-931 is S$330, DT-880 is approx S$450 and the Grado is S$350.

The sencond hand market is of course a better choice but please make sure you can at least test the headphones - you never know how it's been abused.

Beyer DT931 and DT880 seems nice from your description. wink.gif

May be running tube and solid state altogerther for different genres of music. not sure abt the design of the tube amps i'm building.. no notes, just schematic dry.gif .. currently running it on a 32ohm can.

Dreamie,

then build your amp first and use your ears as test. IMO the Beyers can't touch the Grados - any Grados (except maybe the SR-60) for Rock. The SR-125 is well withing your budget and the SR-225 is slightly more at S$350. They kick ass!

gotta agree about rock, beyers are too mellow, senn is better but no where as fast as grado

Dreamie,

then build your amp first and use your ears as test. IMO the Beyers can't touch the Grados - any Grados (except maybe the SR-60) for Rock. The SR-125 is well withing your budget and the SR-225 is slightly more at S$350. They kick ass!

Hung Brothers at SLS carry them? Thanks. wink.gif

Hung Brothers does not carry Gardo lines.

You can audit them at Music by Design at the Adelphi.

ok.. thanks. wink.gif

oh ya, i forgot to add this point.

i'm wearing specs, will the gardo can cause discomfort? Thanks again.

btw, read some stuffs abt open n closed cans.. these gardos are closed? Thx again

party.gif

they are VERY open.