Sign in to follow this  
ckng

Headphone Recommendations, anyone?

Hi,

Looking for a pair of headphones. Budget $200 +/-. Currently looking at Sennheiser HD570 and AKG 141. Any other recommendations in the same price range?

I listen to 95% classical. Will be plugging it to a Rotel RCD-02 via a headphone amp I'll be building.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Regards

CK

without a shadow of doubt - the akg501.

it's considered by many to be the ultimate classical phone.

there's one (Northern Oak's) in the classifieds for sale for IIRC $140.

Edited by adhoc

without a shadow of doubt - the akg501.

it's considered by many to be the ultimate classical phone.

there's one (Northern Oak's) in the classifieds for sale for IIRC $140.

Thanks, but prefer to buy new for something like headphones, how much would that cost? In the same range as a HD600?

Regards

CK

the hd600 is $500 new and the akg501 $250 new.

i would really recommend a used one cos there's virtually no diff if it's in good shape and you can always arrange an audition.

yeap..

northern oak's price is a steal.. 140 dollar, considering that it costs ard 250 new.

As adhoc suggested, at your budget, this is the best for classical.

Actually for headphone you do not need to pay so much for the premium. Unless you really have alot of cash to spare . Because usually 2nd hand are much cheaper.

actually, some say at any budget - the akg501 is the best for classical. biggrin.gif

Thanks adhoc/blues.

$250 seem like a good price, can probably stretch a bit. No issue with 2nd hand for other items like amps, etc, but headphone wise, probably have the previous user's sweat, etc on it. tongue.gif

I tried a HD600, loved it, but it's way out of budget. sad2.gif

Regards

CK

oh i see. you realise that pads can be changed though right? biggrin.gif

and i'll suggest you give it a serious audition first. the akg sound is NOT for everyone.

oh.. in that case...

spring for a new AKG then.. it's around 250 dollars.

Need I add anymore input about the K501's?

N@Z, well.. why not?

i'm sorry i forgot to mention this, but the akg501 sounds to me immensely detailed. an airy light sound. with an immense soundstage - unrivalled by anything i've heard so far. it's this immense soundstage that makes classical so enjoyable, especially grand orchestral pieces. the overall impression is that of you're in a slightly (with reverb) concert hall.

solo pieces dont fare so well though, to me they sound distant and thin.

i'm sorry i forgot to mention this, but the akg501 sounds to me immensely detailed. an airy light sound. with an immense soundstage - unrivalled by anything i've heard so far. it's this immense soundstage that makes classical so enjoyable, especially grand orchestral pieces. the overall impression is that of you're in a slightly (with reverb) concert hall.

Damn, you are making me drool. The way you are describing it is as if it were right in fornt of my eyes. Where did you acquire that skill from? It's like I have not even seen it but u make me wanna go buy it. You make a good online salesman.

For classical music with S$200 budget, try closed cans HD200. wink.gif