Sign in to follow this  
Tohwk

Advice: The Koss KSC-35 or the Sennheiser Mx-500

Hi there,could you please advice me on which is the better buy(best bang for the buck)? The KSC-35(about $70 via online purchase) or the Mx-500(about $30-$35,availble locally)? Thanks.

I have deleted your other duplicative posts. Please note, your posts are succesful, there is a slight problem with the site if it still persist go back to the previous page & refresh, you new post should show up.

Having said that I'd recommend the KSC-35 if you have no issues with the ear clip design & can actually find a pair. Both improve significantly with an amp. The Koss having an uncanny 'big headphone' sound that belie it's size. Personally I prefer the sound of the more readily available KSC-55.

OT : I would be nice if the newcomers would put up avatars.

Seems like a tricky question because the MX500 is buds and the KSC-35 is clipons.

mx500 is a fine earphone, given its price. But ksc-35 blows it away. The sound is much fuller, bass is more slamming . Also, do note that ksc-35 improves more with amp as I could remember. Driven by some cmoy, the bass becomes much tighter and accurate and the sound is more focused.

So having said that.. go for the ksc-35. They are worth every cent. Oh btw, mine is moddedwith that pantyhose mod.. you can do a search on www.head-fi.org for it.

The sound is much more open. I've tried the original pad that comes with it but the sound is abit too dark and muddy for me.

Definitely the KSC-35 then with the iPod. I rocked out of my Sharp MD-MS701. So so with the MX400 (sans in-line vol control on MX500)

mx500 is a fine earphone, given its price. But ksc-35 blows it away. The sound is much fuller, bass is more slamming . Also, do note that ksc-35 improves more with amp as I could remember. Driven by some cmoy, the bass becomes much tighter and accurate and the sound is more focused.

So having said that.. go for the ksc-35. They are worth every cent. Oh btw, mine is moddedwith that pantyhose mod.. you can do a search on www.head-fi.org for it.

The sound is much more open. I've tried the original pad that comes with it but the sound is abit too dark and muddy for me.

can u recommend a resonably priced amp for my ksc35? i love the sound but i wish the bass could be tighter..... n im goin overseas n i guess the 35s n an amp is alot more portable than a hifi set.

wat does the pantyhose mod do? thanks!

hi shuy,

I would suggest that you go for portable DIY amps like cmoy or even mint. I know nuts about diy amps. Thus, you might want to ask for the help of some diy-ers like firefox, jasonhanjk etc if they want to do it for you.

Alternatively, you can also buy a used pair the head-fi.org gear for sale/trade. I've tried the sipher's cmoy. It costs around 50 USD according to him. So it's around there.. 100 sin dollar , i think. The bass is alot tighter.

unfortunately the scv maxonline connection screws up.. I can't log into head-fi for the past few days, otherwise I can give you the link to that mod. You can find it , try : ksc-35 mod

A CMOY is the most basic DIY amp but for just a little bit more you can get a Mint META amp which sounds ALOT better.

however, and this is a BIG however, the ksc35 leaks sound like a sieve, so it's impractical for most portable situations..

quite true.. when you go through the underground tunnel in mrt.. you can hardly hear the song playing

but then again mx500 is just the same.

Unless you want to sacrifice on the sound part and go for the more isolating sony ex70/71.

However, I find ksc-35 is sufficient for normal walking around/bus/mrt.

sieve is good for on the bus. I would have thought you would need etys tongue.gifetys.gif